Nov 17, 2009

Chakai went well


I am happy to report that the chakai went very well. I know that the meal is not the high point of the chakai, but cooking is not my most strong point, so I am a little extra careful when I am preparing a meal for others. Here is a photo of the tray before it went out to the first guest. I forgot my camera, so this is a rather rough photo from the camera phone.

I think the guests all had a good time, but I want to remind all of you who are thinking of putting on a chakai, to think of the comfort of your guests. I had planned for this chakai to last about 2 hours with a 10 minute break in between the meal and the koicha. For most of my students, this is a long time to be sitting seiza in the tea room. At the end of the first hour, most of the guests were suffering and needed the break. For some it was torture to return to the tea room and sit through the koicha procedure (about 25 minutes for 5 guests). After koicha, I brought in zabuton and seiza stools to help the guests and alleviate their pain. There was a heartfelt sigh of relief when I brought these in and proceeded to make usucha.

4 comments:

  1. Bringing in zabuton for usucha is one of those things I've heard of a lot but have never done myself or seen done (although I've wished for it heartily). I've always wondered how one would go about doing it. Do you bring in a pile of cushions and place them in front of the first guest and let the guests pass them around when you leave the room? Or do you place on in front of each guest? Or?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, thank you for your comment. The zabuton are always welcome between usucha and koicha. During chaji, the tobako bon is brought into the room as well for the relaxation of the guests, though I have never seen anyone smoke. I have seen zabuton brought into the room in a stack and the teishu starts with the first guest and delivers each one separately. Because there were 5 guests in a four and a half mat room with the ro in the middle, there wasn't much room to maneuver so I put the stack in front of the last guest and asked him to distribute the zabuton and give out the stools to anyone who wanted them. Then I brought in the sweets for usucha when everyone had settled down again. I hope next time you will take pity on the long suffering knees and ankles of your guests and provide zabuton for their comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, I'm particularly in tune with the long-suffering knees and ankles of my guests at the moment, since I've been having knee problems myself, and particularly since it's a lot easier for the host, who doesn't have to sit still in one spot for such long periods as the guests. I may try this at the upcoming hatsugama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please let me know how it goes. I guarantee the guests will appreciate your efforts. :-)

    ReplyDelete