Sep 27, 2008

It's not about the numbers

When Christy-sensei was here for koshukai (intensive workshop) she mentioned that Chado is not about the numbers. Which led me to think about numbers in my study of tea.

When we find our place and sit in the tea room, we are told to sit 16 weaves of the tatami from the black edge; turn the bowl two times; place the natsume at 5 weaves from the corner.

All of these instructions help us to locate and orient ourselves in the tea room. But what Christy-sensei was teaching was that we should not get too attached to these numbers. It is a paradox that turning the bowl two times is not as precise as saying, turn the the bowl so that you are drinking out of the back or turn the bowl so that the front is facing you.

The 16 weaves back from the black edge of the tatami is difficult to do if your legs are two long and you come up against the wall. You must make sure that you have enough room in front of you to set the tea bowl down and bow formally when receiving tea.

I have had sensei who didn't teach from the numbers. She would show me the precise place to put something, or tell me that I was a little bit off when I placed it -- move it to the left or move it closer to you. When I asked how many cm from the edge or how many tatami weaves, she would respond, she would tell me to look at where she showed me and to train myself to see and remember the placement.

So when putting the whisk and natsume down, sensei said to make them like a married couple, close, but not too close.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post so much! Personally speaking, I am not naturally precise in my movements (read: I have a decades-old habit of carelessness); so the question of position and alignment in the tearoom is always something I have to think very carefully about. (It's one reason why Chadou is such great training for me - it makes everything more conscious, promotes genuine mindfulness and one-pointedness.)

    So when putting the whisk and natsume down, sensei said to make them like a married couple, close, but not too close.

    That's perfect - and so funny! I love the fact that in tea, esthetics is always balanced with pragmatism. You want the whisk and natsume to make a neat, visually pleasing triangle; you also want them to be within reasonable reach (not too far away); and of course they must be far enough apart so that you won't knock over one when reaching for the other ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. chamekke,

    Thank you for your comments. I love that you have had some of the same experiences that I have had in your journey with tea.

    Sensei had so many sayings that I collected before she passed away. Her English was not the best, but she really had some good ones! I also have collected other sensei says... things that I hope to put into a post sometime.

    Take care,
    Margie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am eagerly anticipating more of your sensei's sayings in your future posts. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. chamekke,
    Thank you for reading the blog and taking the time to comment.

    Margie

    ReplyDelete