Nov 25, 2012

'Tis the season

Yesterday was Black Friday, the busiest shopping day of the year. Today is small business Saturday and Cyber Monday coming up.  It is officially now the shopping, buying and consuming season until the end of the year.

When my husband and I were first married, I asked him not to buy me things for occasions like birthdays and Christmas.  Instead, I asked him to buy me experiences.  He has been forced to be creative and yes, he has delivered in giving me experience gifts, from a home-catered meal to a private concert, to season theater tickets.   He also has arranged for me to dig a ditch with a back hoe and a consultation with a master gardener. I have been taken the Highland games and a trip to the Grand Canyon.  He has bought me sewing classes and a chance to race a car on the track Portland International Raceway. 

 We have agreed this year to give only one gift and shop local, and by the way, extra points for experience over things.

Perhaps for this year, you too can give the gift of experience for Christmas.  There is a new Introduction to Chado class beginning in January.  You can also give the experience of a Japanese Tea Ceremony by Issoan Tea School.  For more information, visit Issoantea.com.



2 comments:

  1. This is what I like to do for my nephews for their birthdays. One year I took one nephew to see a production done by the Portland Children's Theatre. This year I took another newphew on a tour of the Seattle Underground. Experiences can bring very good memories.

    ReplyDelete