Oct 15, 2007

Nakaoki, moving the fire closer

October is a transitional month for the tea world. As the weather gets colder, the brazier with the fire moves to the middle of the tatami mats, closer to the guests. Next month the fire will be moved even closer to the guests when the sunken hearth is opened.

This moving the fire closer to the guests can also be a metaphor for how you feel in life. When we are enthusiastic, when we have a passion for something, we want to share it with others. We want them to feel some of the fire we feel.

When my son was a teenager, it was so important for him to appear “cool.” He was cynical about everything and everything else was stupid, though he cared desperately what the other cool guys in school thought of him. He was too afraid of being himself and too afraid to show what he liked for fear of being “uncool.” He eventually grew out of it, but think how much happier people are if they feel free enough to express themselves, without the fear of becoming uncool.

So here’s to being uncool. Literally, uncool means warm or hot. Let us express ourselves and our passions. I’d like to move the fire closer to you and hope that by expressing my passion for chado, the way of tea, you will feel warmed enough to be uncool, too.

2 comments:

  1. SweetP - I have been following your blog; enjoying the calm and thoughtful atmosphere. The last few times I was here I could not add comments but now I see I can, so let me take this chance to thank you for a lovely place to visit.

    Sue.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue,

    Thank you for the lovely comment. It sure is good to know that people are reading and getting something out of this blog. I hope you will continue to stop by and comment occasionally. Take care,
    Margie

    ReplyDelete